Thursday, 2 July 2015
Friday, 5 June 2015
Prompts: Carnival, Map, Mailbox, Owl.
Carnival with Promarkers, Faber Castell Pitt pens, Uni-ball Signo White and gold, grunge stencilling with star punchinella.
Map Gelli printed background, old map of York and old car print. Handmade washi tape from an old road map.
Mailbox. Stamped background. Promarkers, Faber Castell Pit pen.
Monday, 1 June 2015
Here is my first index card for the 61 day creative challenge Index Card A Day.
There are themes and prompts.
The prompt for day one is chevron.
As I limited myself to just pens and inks I found this difficult. I'm clearly not good with limitations!
Hence, I did 4 cards. I posted the top left card to the group Facebook page.
Friday, 22 May 2015
I'm participating in the international creative challenge ICAD, Index Card a Day.
I wanted to have a choice of pre-prepared backgrounds to offer choice, flexibility and inspiration to each daily creation.
My cards are 3x5. I used the 5x7 Gelli plate to get two cards at a time.
Monday, 11 May 2015
I've been having a splash about with some Brushos.
I made some small backgrounds and made this notecard with a contrasting gelli print envelope. The print was from a pile of "undecided" prints that have been to one side for over a year!
I used only 3 colours of Brushos on the backgrounds. The stamped image is from Stampendous. It didn't show up terribly well so I've gone over the whole image with Unipin fineliners and then highlighted the non silhouetted flowers using a Uniball Signo White pen.
The colours on the card are: lime green, scarlet and lemon. The other two backgrounds were created using purple, leaf green and yellow.
Saturday, 25 April 2015
I have an old 1970s Atlas. To contrast against the black and white small table I decided to go with bold, zingy, colours. I have the map book for collages (and what could be better than a large, freestanding, 3D collage?!) Also, it's interesting seeing how the world and trade used to be.
I used the same process (The glue I used for both was matt Modge Podge) and started at the legs.
I have two, very boring, solid teak side tables. They don't fit in the rest of my furniture.
I decided to jazz them up a bit using découpage.
First I sanded them as they had a slight varnished finish to them. Then I gave them a couple of coats of white, ordinary satin wood interior paint (leftover from painting sills and skirting etc)
I copied some zendoodles of mine using my inkjet printer on to plain copy paper. My worry was that the ink would smear when pasted onto the table. Then I worried that the thin paper would just tear!! I carried out a little test piece under the table and all was good :-)
I started with the legs (which were a bit fiddly as they're tapered) and worked my way up.
I'm so pleased with the finished product. My small, random designs worked really well and minimises any visible overlaps. It's completely original and its a quirky way to see a lot of my sketchbook, ATCs and drawings etc altogether.
The finished table :-)
Thursday, 2 April 2015
Hardboard primed with gesso. Derwent Artbars applied dry to board and then water added. It's easier to work the colour with finger tips for warmth and pressure. Mark making using rubber tipped shaping tools and dry application of Artbars direct to the board.
Monday, 2 March 2015
Black and white collage.
I started a collage last summer which I was never sure what to do with. It was a patchwork of black and white magazine images. When I placed “sticky back tissue paper” over it I was unhappy with the result – the backing on the tissue paper was too opaque and made the whole collage flat and unappealing to me. I doodled a wilting weed in white pen but no joy in any further ideas. It got put aside with other half finished projects and collage “stuff”. When I say stuff I mean bits and bobs I can’t bear to throw away. This includes envelopes from bills and junk mail.
I sifted through my boxes and got tearing and sticking. A photo of the adorable Mabel takes pride of place.
(pic montage at the bottom shows the original half finished collage (top left) and then some of the stages)